Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Technique: Chipboard Shortage, Creative Solutions




Technique: Chipboard Shortage, Creative Solutions

Has this ever happened to you... you are right in the midst of a creative flurry, designing your little heart out. Your photos are rocking and the papers are the perfect hue...all is well and you are are the home stretch of actually completing a layout at the crop event. Alas, you will be able to show a finished work of art to your husband... instead of the typical ... I have this in progress and this and I am going to work on this...yada yada yada

Whoa.... stop to show. Crud! The most amazing chipboard in world, seemingly designed with just your layout in mind...well it seems there are not enough letters to complete the desired tile. Double-crud!

This happened to me recently and I just had to dig deep to "get 'er done". My solution: Use the chipboard outline, where I had previously used the letters and use them as a stencil to fill in the missing letters I needed.

Using a heavier weight pen, I made the letters bold so they would stand out against the patterned paper.


I took my stenciled letters and layered some actual chipboard letters for a unique (and thrifty) application.


To frame the custom title, I used simple strips of cardstock for a bold, defined look. 


Gotta love the 3-D look of this work. Dimension and pop - but possible on a small product budget. And even better maximized use of existing product!


For the final touch, I added some hand written journaling. I am a big believer in using your own hand writing on your scrapbook work. I can tell you that looking at my Grandmothers albums, seeing her hand writing makes them very special. It really does not matter if you have beautiful writing, don't miss the point, your family wants a part of you on that page, telling the story. 


There are some layouts that don't require you to write a deep, insightful novel, just a quick note to go along with the story that the photos are already telling. Sometimes keeping it simple is just fine. 



Keep on creating!

XOXO

~Dionne

Ingredients:
Paper:   Prima Ferrulle
Cardstock:  Bazzill Black
Chipboard:  Scenic Route Capital Hill
Other:  Maya Road Sheers, Prima Floral

2 comments:

  1. This is FAB, Dionne!! LOVE your creative solution!! Congrats on the S4All GDT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a simple but perfect solution! Congrats on S4A GDT. And DT for Momenta!

    ReplyDelete